1. Control Panel Settings
\u0026ldquo;Control Panel\u0026rdquo; has always been the center of Windows operating system settings and adjustments. In Win2K\u0026ldquo;Control Panel 'Further development has been carried out. Many effects that originally needed to be modified and registered in Win9X can now be carried out directly in the 'Control Panel'. Since we want to optimize the performance of Win2K we must first cut the 'Control Panel'.
1. Internet properties
Don’t put temporary Internet files (offline browsing files) in the same partition as the operating system because offline webpage files have the characteristics of large numbers small files and strong randomness. It will cause your disk system to produce a large amount of fragmentation in a short period of time and thus affect the performance of Win2K file system. Win2K is a multi-user operating system so its default offline file storage path is different from Win9X. It is stored in DocumentsandSettingsAdministrator under the same disk root directory as Win2K (this is the system administrator directory if you are in another identity When you log in to the system the folder name is the user name you used to log in) LocalSettingsTemporaryInternetFiles. To change the storage path of offline files first click the 'Internet temporary files' setting button under the 'General' tab of the 'Internet' option page and click 'Settings' in the pop-up 'Settings' dialog box. ;Move folder (M)\u0026hellip;\u0026rdquo; button to make changes.
2. Mouse properties
in the \u0026ldquo;mouse\u0026rdquo;\u0026rarr;\u0026ldquo;pointer\u0026rdquo; cancel the \u0026ldquo;enable pointer shadow\u0026rdquo; feature. Although the pointer shadow beautifies the mouse pointer it is at the cost of consuming system resources.
3. Add/Remove Programs
seems to be unable to delete anything in 'Add/Remove Windows Components'. In fact this is just a little trick by Microsoft. Now let us solve it: Open the winnt\\inf\\sysoc.inf file with 'Notepad' replace the command with 'Edit' in the menu and fill in the 'Find content' field with ' ;hide\u0026rdquo; press \u0026ldquo;replace all\u0026rdquo; and save. Go back to 'Add/Remove Windows Components' again. How are you satisfied? Although there are not many famous programs that can be customized to be deleted/installed some programs that you don't like can be deleted after all.
4. Network and dial-up connection
Open the properties of the Internet dial-up connection you established it should contain 'General' 'Options' 'Security measures' and 'Network' four Page the specific settings are as follows:
A \u0026ldquo;Options\u0026rdquo; page: Cancel the \u0026ldquo;prompt name password certificate etc. in the \u0026ldquo;dial-up connection\u0026rdquo;. It will not affect your password verification when dialing up.
B \u0026ldquo;Network\u0026rdquo; page: Press the \u0026ldquo;Settings\u0026rdquo; button to enter \u0026ldquo;PPP Settings\u0026rdquo; it includes three setting items:
1) \u0026ldquo;Enable LCP extension\u0026rdquo;\u0026mdash;\u0026mdash;LCP extension is Link Control Protocol extension. The role of LCP is to create and configure PPP frames. The PPP standard frame format defined by it ensures that all remote access software can communicate and identify data packets transmitted from all remote access software that comply with the PPP standard. It is an important part of connecting to a remote PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) server and plays an important role in maintaining and coordinating the correctness of network data packet transmission. If you select this setting and cause Internet connection problems it may be that the remote server does not support the LCP extension and you should disable this setting.
2)\u0026ldquo;Enable software compression\u0026rdquo;\u0026mdash;\u0026mdash;An additional software-based data compression method is provided in Win2K to obtain higher network data throughput. Your cat itself provides hardware compression. Depending on the cat the modem will try to compress all data regardless of whether the data has been compressed (such as jpg images zip files). This actually reduces the efficiency of transmitting compressed data . 'Enable software compression' will not have such a problem it will directly transmit the compressed data. In addition an important factor of 'enable software compression' is that the computer can provide more large mode buffers than MODEM so software compression can achieve higher data transmission efficiency than hardware compression. My suggestion is: If your MODEM manual indicates that it supports the V.42bis protocol you may not enable software compression. If you often upload a lot of compressed data you might as well enable it! In actual use you can try the two compression methods separately to see which one is more suitable for you. Please note: Do not apply these two compression methods at the same time because the data that has been compressed by software cannot get a greater compression rate under hardware. The compression algorithm used by the modem may in turn increase the size of the data. The system brings unnecessary burden rather than more optimized efficiency. (The method to turn off MODEM hardware compression: Enter \u0026ldquo;Phone and Modem\u0026rdquo;\u0026rarr;\u0026ldquo;Modem\u0026rdquo;\u0026rarr;\u0026ldquo;Properties\u0026rdquo; select \u0026ldquo;Advanced\u0026rdquo; page press \u0026ldquo;Change default preferences\u0026rdquo; Change \u0026ldquo;Compression\u0026rdquo; in \u0026ldquo;Data Connection Preferences\u0026rdquo; to \u0026ldquo;Disabled\u0026rdquo;.)
3)\u0026ldquo;Negotiate multiple links for single link connection\u0026rdquo;\u0026mdash ;\u0026mdash;Specify whether to enable multi-link negotiation for a single-link connection. If supported by the remote server to be accessed it can improve the audio quality of the transmission.
Next return to the \u0026ldquo;Network\u0026rdquo; page in the\u0026ldquo;This connection uses the following selected components\u0026rdquo;only select \u0026ldquo;Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)\u0026rdquo;. If you did not set the DNS (Internet domain name resolution server address) when creating a new dial-up connection you can set the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses in the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' properties at this time (this address is determined by Provided by your ISP providing Internet access services). As a trick you can even use any DNS server address on other Internet. For example: enter the address provided to you by your local ISP in the preferred DNS and enter the DNS address from other ISPs in the alternate DNS (the closer the physical location of the server is the better). The advantage of this is that when your DNS server fails to resolve the domain name you requested other working DNS will resolve it for you. To get the IP addresses of other DNS servers perhaps your netizens can help.
There is also an 'Advanced' button in this properties dialog box. We also need to perform some advanced TCP/IP settings: Keep selected under the 'General' page' in the remote network 'Use the default gateway on the ' this is because when the dial-up is established Win2K will add your ISP server as the new default route to the IP routing table so that the ISP becomes the default gateway instead of the router in the local LAN. This allows you to access resources on the Internet smoothly. Then select 'Use IP header compression' it uses VanJacobsonTCP/IP data packet header compression technology to increase the ability to successfully access remote servers. Under the 'WINS' page do not select 'Enable LMHOSTS query' because it is prepared for NetBIOS (that is the network basic input output system which is an application programming interface used in local area networks). 5. System
It includes five pages: 'General' 'Network identification' 'Hardware' 'User profile' 'Advanced' and we need to 'Hardware' and 'Advanced' two pages for setting.
A \u0026ldquo;Hardware\u0026rdquo; page: Press the \u0026ldquo;Device Manager\u0026rdquo; button to enter the Device Manager:
1) Expand \u0026ldquo;IDEATA/ATAPI Controller\u0026rdquo ; respectively enter the 'Primary (and Secondary) IDEChannel' properties select the 'Advanced Settings' page. If all your drives support DMA (that is the support of UDMA33/66 by the hard disk or CD-ROM drive) and Win2K does not automatically detect it select 'DMA' in the 'Transfer Mode' of the corresponding device. This can enhance the data transfer speed of the drive where it is located. In addition if you are sure that there is no device connected to a certain IDE port you should change the device type of the corresponding device to 'None' so that Win2K will not detect the device of this port when starting the system to speed up the startup speed.
2) Expand \u0026ldquo;Disk Drive\u0026rdquo; enter the \u0026ldquo;Properties\u0026rdquo; option of all hard disks connected to the system and select \u0026ldquo;Enable writing in the \u0026ldquo;Disk Properties\u0026rdquo; page Into the cache' this setting provides a high-speed cache for hard disk write operations which can improve disk write performance. But it needs special attention: if the system shuts down abnormally after the write cache is enabled it will increase the possibility of physical disk damage and data loss.
(3) Connect your external MODEM to the COM2 communication port! Because COM2 has a higher priority than COM1. First expand 'Ports (COM and LPT)' enter 'Communication Port (COM2)' Properties select the 'Port Settings' page and set the 'Bits per second' to the highest 128000. It is determined The maximum rate at which your computer transmits data through this port. Set the flow control to \u0026ldquo;hardware\u0026rdquo; hardware flow (RTS/CTS) control is conducive to binary transmission while software flow (XON/XOFF) control is only suitable for transmitting text and is slower than hardware flow. Sometimes setting the flow control to \u0026ldquo;no\u0026rdquo; may get better results depending on your device. Then press the \u0026ldquo;Advanced\u0026rdquo; button to enter the \u0026ldquo;COM2 advanced settings\u0026rdquo; like the Win98 optimized port enable the FIFO buffer and set the receiving and transmission buffers to the highest. Under normal circumstances if there are no problems such as data loss
Windows 2000 optimization
1. Control Panel Settings