How do I partition my removable drive on Windows 11? System comes with partitioning
24 2021-08-01 11:51
Newly purchased mobile hard drive do not think that plugged in can be used, if not divided is not available, if you have been divided into a zone want to be divided into more zones can be operated according to the following steps. (If you have a partition, you have to do it in "Operation" - "All Tasks" - "Delete Disk Partition". (If you have a partition, you have to format it again after "Delete Disk Partition", otherwise you can't use the system partition).
After the hard drive case is installed, plugged into the computer USB port, the computer normally recognize the mobile hard drive, but because the new hard drive is not partitioned, in "My Computer" is not to see the disk letter. The following 40G mobile hard disk partition to talk about how to partition the hard disk.
1. The operating system win11 is the same operation. On the desktop "My Computer" icon right click, select "Management".
2. In the "Computer Management" window that opens, select "Disk Management".
The new disk will pop up a "Initialize Disk" window, check the small box in front of disk 1 to confirm completion.
4. At this point we can see a 37.25G "Disk 1" (not assigned), that is, the hard disk has not been partitioned (here to Hitachi 40G hard drive as an example).
5. Here first introduce the concept of disk partitioning, which includes primary disk partition, extended disk partition, and logical partition. The relationship between them is as follows
6. Right-click on the unassigned disk schematic and select "New Disk Partition".
7. The disk partition wizard will pop up, just take the next step.
8. Look at the diagram in step 5, we should divide the "primary disk partition" in the first step. Next step.
9. How big is the primary disk partition (that is, how big is the first partition of the removable hard disk), this can be specified arbitrarily, if you are only going to divide the 40G hard disk into one area, then you can specify the full capacity of the primary disk partition. Here we are ready to divide the two zones equally, the first zone will be divided into half of the total capacity of 19000 or so. Next step
10. This step does not need to change the direct next step on the line (encountered someone here to choose the second item does not assign the drive number, the result is a good partition, is not in my computer to see the disk letter, and almost thought the mobile hard drive problems)
Format this step, you can choose FAT32 or NTFS format partition, but if you choose NTFS, WIN98 and WINME computers are not supported, you can not see the mobile hard disk; if your capacity of a zone is greater than 32G, you can only choose NTFS formatting. In order to finish partitioning as soon as possible, it is recommended to select "Perform Quick Format", otherwise you will have to wait longer. Next step
12. Make sure it is done.
13. Formatting is in progress. If your computer has USB 2.0 and you selected Quick Format in the previous step, the formatting will be done soon; if you have an older computer that does not support USB 2.0 or did not select Quick Format, you will have to wait longer here.
After the formatting of the primary disk partition is done, now come to the rest. Right-click on the remaining black bar "New disk partition".
The primary disc partition has just been divided, and the remaining capacity should go to the extended partition. Next step
16. You do not need to change the capacity here, because except for the primary partition that has been divided, the rest should go to the extended partition (no matter how much). Next until it is done (the extended partition is not formatted).
17. We see that the extended partition has turned into a green bar, in the extended partition we will divide the logical partition. Right-click on the extended partition and select "New logical drive".
18. Here you can only choose logical drives. If you want to divide the capacity of the extended partition into several logical partitions, just repeat this step several times to create a logical drive. After the next step with the basic disk partition introduced in the same format on the line.
19. The logical drive is the blue color bar, which is what the 40G removable drive looks like after it has been divided into two zones. This makes it possible to open "My Computer" to see the disk letter, copy something into it to try.
The above completes the partitioning of the removable drive. If you're not sure, try it yourself, delete the wrong one and start over, it won't damage your hard drive.
Note: Make sure that the current operating system operating privileges for the "system administrator", otherwise you can not carry out the partitioning operation of the mobile hard drive.
1, the mobile hard connected to the computer (desktop computers, please try to use the rear USB port, the use of the front USB port may be insufficient power supply phenomenon), in the "My Computer" icon, click the right mouse button, and then select the "Management (G)" item to enter the computer management interface.
2, in the computer management interface, click the "Disk Management" item, if it is the first time the system will appear when the disk initialization prompt, confirm the interface in the right column of the "Disk 1" for the newly added removable hard disk, behind the "Unassigned" area means that there is no space for creating disk partitions.
3. Click the right mouse button in the unassigned area and select the "New Disk Partition (N)" item. After selecting it, the Partition Wizard will appear. Click Next.
4. Select "Primary disc partition" in the Select the type of disc partition you want to create and click Next.
5. Select the appropriate partition size in the interface shown and click Next (N) when you are done entering it. Note: For FAT32 format single partition is not allowed to exceed 32G, if the capacity exceeds 32G partition can only choose NTFS format. You can use third-party software (e.g. diskgenius software) to create a FAT32 partition that exceeds 32G.
6. Assign a drive number in the interface shown. The drive number is the name given to the new partition, usually referred to as C drive, D drive, etc. is the drive number here by default. Click "Next (N)".
7. The FAT32 system has a limit on file size, the maximum size of a single file cannot exceed 2G, while NTFS has no such limit.
Note: It is recommended to use full format for new disks, do not choose to perform a quick format. If the full format cannot be completed successfully, the disk can be determined to have physical damage, and the quick format is unable to detect physical bad sectors on the disk. However, if you do not perform a quick format, the partition speed will be very slow, so it is up to the buyer to decide.
8, finally press the "Finish" button to complete the partitioning operation, the remaining capacity can be recreated in accordance with the above operation new partition.
About hard drive nominal capacity and actual capacity
After purchasing the hard drive, careful people will find that the capacity of the hard drive in the operating system does not match the official nominal capacity, which is less than the nominal capacity, and the larger the capacity the greater the difference. The hard drive with a nominal 40GB is only 38GB in the operating system; the 80GB hard drive is only 75GB; and the 120GB hard drive is only 114GB. this is not the manufacturer or distributor cheating consumers with the second best, but the hard drive manufacturer's calculation method for capacity and the operating system is different and caused by the different unit conversion relationship.
As we all know, in the computer is the use of binary, which causes the calculation of capacity in the operating system is to every 1024 for a binary, every 1024 bytes for 1KB, every 1024KB for 1MB, every 1024MB for 1GB, every 1024GB for 1TB; and hard drive manufacturers in the calculation of capacity is to every 1000 for a binary, every 1000 bytes for 1KB The difference between the two bases causes the hard drive capacity to "shrink".
Take a 120GB hard drive as an example.
Manufacturer capacity calculation method: 120GB = 120,000MB = 120,000,000KB = 120,000,000,000 bytes
Conversion to OS calculation method: 120,000,000,000 bytes/1024 = 117,187,500KB/1024 = 114,440.91796875MB = 114GB.
The hard drive needs to be partitioned and formatted, there are differences between operating systems, plus the act of copying files when installing the operating system, the hard drive will take up more space, so there will be differences between the hard drive capacity shown in the operating system and the nominal capacity, and the difference between the two types of capacity of the hard drive should be about 5%-10% is normal.
How do I partition my removable drive on Windows 11? System comes with partitioning